Wednesday 25 April 2012

ANZAC Day 2012

Today started early in our house today with the alarm clock radio going off at 5.30am. Chris mumbled and stumbled out of bed towards the bathroom. I rolled over as it was cold outside of the covers. Then the shower stop it was time for me to make a move.
I went to awaken Eric at 5.45am to see Mary at the door who is a work colleague of Chris's and was joining us. Eric stumbled out of his room wanting a strong hot coffee. So as he got ready, I made him a take-away mug. We then set out to the local Croydon RSL Hall for the ANZAC memorial Service. It was to start at 6.15am. and we were walking as we got close it had started and it was 6.09 by Eric phone?
The service is short but moving as prayers were said, a song and with pride the crowd joined in for Advance Australia Fair followed by the moment of silence. There were a few wreaths laid in honour under the cross and the flag was raised. The most moving part is the last post played on the bugle and to me it is quite a sad sound . So here is post.
This is the second time I have been to the ANZAC Dawn service and today  I noticed the the crowd was twice the size of last year. So I wonder way we have started to feel that it is important to participate. Many standing were young families with childern, or families with grandparents, mums,dads and even a few teenagers.


These few images I feel show what it is about, with a reminder that there are Australians in the middle east serving our country and risking their lives daily.

Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment